Does your policy cover you for the type of premises you will be working on

What is a hazardous location?

Each insurance company will have a slightly different idea on what constitutes a hazardous location, but generally many of the same locations will pop up.

Anything to do with mining is generally considered to be hazardous, along with areas that see very large amounts of foot traffic, such as airports and railway stations.

For a location to be considered hazardous it does not necessarily need to pose a physical danger, such as a mine site or an offshore oilrig.

Other locations that can be considered hazardous include mainframe computer installations, mainly due to the fact that a relatively minor mistake could trigger an enormous claim.

The following list details some of the common locations that the insurance companies will want to know about:

  • Airports
  • Railway Stations
  • Oilrigs
  • Gas Rigs
  • Oil Refineries
  • Chemical Refineries
  • Mines
  • Quarries
  • Shipyards
  • Mainframe Computer Installations
  • Power Stations
  • Major Infrastructure

Not all insurance companies will be concerned about all of the areas listed above, and some insurers will be concerned about areas in addition to those listed above.

If you work in a location which you think may be considered hazardous or high risk, it's important to let your insurer know as you may not be covered.

How does this affect my insurance?

If your insurance provider excludes any of the high risk locations listed above, you will not be covered whilst working in those locations.

Most insurers and brokers will specifically ask you about the locations as well, and if you answer incorrectly you'll be breaching your duty of disclosure, which can have serious consequences.

Whilst the majority of the mainstream insurers do not cover high risk locations, there are specialist insurers and underwriters who we deal with that will offer cover.

In order to access these specialist insurers and underwriters you will generally need to use an insurance broker who specialises in the area such as C & B Insurance Services Limited, as most of the underwriters do not deal direct with the public.

Getting the right cover

No matter how hazardous or high risk your work locations may be, there will be an insurer or underwriter somewhere who is willing to offer cover.

When talking with the insurance company or broker it is important to give them the full story on what you're doing.

Whilst this may mean you pay a bit more for your insurance, at least you will know that you and your business are properly covered.

Get the right advice

If you and your business do operate in hazardous and high risk locations the best option is to speak to us, we specialise is arranging insurance for those companies that work in either a High Risk Trades such as the use of Heat or work at Height or Off Shore.

We will able help you to identify any hazardous locations and activities within your business, and then find the right insurer or underwriter who can assist. Please contact C & B Insurance Services Limited today on 01442 877773.